Camelot Moving and Storage located in Santa Clarita, CA offers local and long-distance moves, commercial relocations, and local storage

Are You Ready to Travel?



Are You Ready to Travel? -Contributed to Camelot’s House and Home News by Piet Van Calbergh at The Travel Affair

Before you set forth on your summer travel plans, take a moment to make sure that you and the whole family have all your travel documents in order.

Checklist for summer travel

Checklist for summer travel

For any international destination, including Canada and Mexico, you will need a passport.

As one of the best identifications available, even domestically, passports are invaluable. Therefore, I suggest obtaining a passport for everyone in your family. Once you receive your passport, sign it immediately and make photocopies. Leave these with family members, a trusted friend, or even your travel agent. These copies will greatly facilitate the re-issue of your passport should it become lost or stolen.

Obtaining a passport is easier than you may think. The fees are very nominal and a passport is valid for ten years (five years for children). You may obtain them at certain post office locations, or directly from the State Department. You may also download the forms online. Go to, click on “Travel,” and then on “Passports.” They usually take four to six weeks to process, perhaps longer in the spring and summer months.

Now that you have your passport, make the most of it when booking your travel arrangements. Be sure to use the exact same name that is listed on your passport when making your reservation. Do not use nicknames or abbreviations. The TSA—the same agency that frisks infants and seniors in wheelchairs—now requires first, middle, and last names plus your date of birth. If there is any discrepancy between your passport and your reservation, at the very least you will suffer delays at the airport. It could snowball from there. The TSA is not flexible and perhaps that is how it should be.

Many countries no longer require travel visas for U.S. visitors, but some still do.  Check with your travel professional or with your airline. You do not need a passport for domestic travel, but you will need a picture ID, such as a driver’s license.

Summer Travel Plans

Ready for summer travel!

With your documentation in order, you and your family are now ready to plan your vacation or business trip.  As a rule of thumb, I recommend checking multiple sources for your travel reservations.  You will be surprised how many different rates there are for literally the same travel destinations. Bon voyage!

Piet (pronounced “Pete”) Van Calbergh at The Travel Affair has served as a travel agent since 1977. If you have any questions regarding travel, drop him an e-mail at or call (661) 296-5100. He will even use some of your most interesting questions in future contributed articles!

Post a Comment

Your email is never shared. Required fields are marked *


Camelot Moving & Storage
28040 Industry Drive, Valencia, CA, 91355
Phone: (661) 255-3112
Powered by Santa Clarita Web Consultants